A smoky twist on a classic recipe…
-500ml pickling vinegar
-2 bay leaves
-1 tablespoon black peppercorns
-1 tablespoon coriander seeds
-6 large eggs
-optional: chili flakes, mustard seeds, fennel seeds (or…beetroot to stain eggs pink)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and gently lower 6 eggs into the boiling water with a slotted spoon. Set a timer for 10 minutes to hard boil the eggs, then remove from heat.
- Place the eggs in an ice-bath or run cold tap water over them until they are completely cool.
- Place the eggs on a rack and prepare your smoker for Cold Smoking. You could use whatever flavour you like, but we used Pecan Bisquettes. Smoke for 3-4 hours.
- While the eggs are smoking, mix all other ingredients together in a pot and heat just until the point when the sugar dissolves completely. Allow to cool.
- Sterilize a jar in preparation for pickling.
- When the eggs have finished smoking, place them in the jar with the brine. Let them pickle for a minimum of two weeks before eating. If you are sealing the jars, do so now. We knew ours wouldn’t last that long, so we simply placed them in a large glass jar in the fridge.