1 Whole Chicken
150g Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
3tbsp Sea Salt
1tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
4 Sprigs of Thyme or Lemon Thyme, leaves removed
1tsp Ground Black Pepper
1tsp Garlic Powder
1 Lemon, zested
- Combine all of the dry brine ingredients into a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Rub the dry brine mixture into the chicken really well, ensuring it is well covered inside and out. Sit the chicken onto a rack on a tray to catch any juices and leave in the fridge uncovered for 4-8hours.
- Pat the chicken all over with kitchen paper, removing as much moisture as possible.
- Gently pry the skin of the chicken away from the meat and rub the unsalted butter all over the meat. This will melt and baste the chicken whilst cooking.
- Set the smoker to 110C and once up to temperature turn the smoke on. For the chicken, we are using Hickory wood bisquettes but you can choose to use whichever Bradley Flavour Bisquettes you wish.
- Add the chicken to the smoker with a tray on the rack below to catch any drippings and juices and smoke for 3-4 hours until the internal temperature is 75C.